Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hold on for a Ride Up

Looking at the market before the open this morning, of course I wish I had a lot more Financial stocks than I do. The UYG and XLF will explode higher this morning. I had been short financials by selling the puts of SKF, a short fund. But I closed out my position yesterday because I hoped the actions that took place would happen. I closed it with SKF running very high on fear at $140. Today, SKF may open below $90. Boy, that was close. That would have been expenisve if I had not gotten out yesterday.

Meanwhile, the very large Goldman Sachs position I hold is looking a lot better. It was trading as low as $85 midday yesterday. I own it at $172 (actually, the options, but the loss would be the same). Today, it looks like it will open above $140 and could go to $160 during the day, getting me back close to even.

So, though I won't have a chance to get back into my long UYG position (the opposite of SKF), because it is soaring in the pre-market, I am happy for what I have. Hopefully you will also have a very nice market day with the action in front of us.

Be glad you are not a professional short seller with big short positions in Financials (hedge funds, Al Queda?) They will be wiped out if naked (not covered by equal long positions)

No comments: