Thursday, April 17, 2008

Investing in Canroys for Long Term Success

From Jake:
Brian I am still not fully invested in the oil group, with the commodity bubble expected to bust I have invested lightly in this area. Any suggestions? Maybe short term? I have CANROYS but wanted to invest more before the run up but did not want to be taken out in a couple of months. I know hard to answer but any thoughts.
Otherwise a great day for me positioned well in all areas! Thank you!


My Response:
I think the Canroys will do very well short term and long term. In the mid term (2 mths to 12 mths) I am expecting a commodities correction. I think there is a lot of hot money in commodities that is parked there while the recession worries play out. I think that hot money (traders and hedgies) will move back to U.S. equities once the all-clear is called for the market. I expect that to happen anytime from June this year to March next year, sooner more likely.

Short term (next 2 months) I think Canroys will benefit from the hotness of the energy market. The Canroys hedge some of the product forward, but not all of it. So, they are benefiting from the higher energy prices on a daily basis, as they sell some production into the spot market. Also, as futures contracts expire, they will write new futures contracts at the current higher prices to lock in this level. So, there cash flow will dramatically increase the next 12 months, way above their budget forecasts, which are mostly in the $60s for oil and around $7 for gas (this info is in their annual reports).

Regardless of market concerns over the Canadian tax consequences, eventually, the value of this cash on the books must be rewarded. There could be a large special dividend, an acquisition which would increase future revenue and cash flow per share, or a takeout, which would result in a large premium on the stock price. I expect a 50% increase in price in the stocks if not taken out. If one of the small Canroys, like Daylight or Baytex for example, are taken out, they could double in value over a couple of days.

So, I think this is a great entry point for the Canroys, though it would have been even better a month or two ago (Daylight has gone from $6 in mid-January to $10 today, for example)

Regarding the Long term, 12 months to 10 years or more in the future, oil and gas will get more and more expensive as demand increases and supply stays flat if we are lucky. After 10 years, I expect alternative technologies to began increasing energy supply in general, shifting demand. I think solar will become a much bigger factor as new technology improvements drive production costs down. Wind, geothermal and wave energy will also be increasingly important. As fuel cell and battery technology improves, more vehicles will operate on electricity which can be produced by solar sources (wind and wave energy is indirectly derived from the sun, as is hydro power from rainfall into reservoirs). I expect biofuels like ethanol to become less and less important. They are very inefficient to produce and compete with the food supply.

I think Solar will be the most immediate winner in alternative energy and I am working in this industry, so can keep an eye on it up close. Today I am buying a small tracking position ($1000) in a new ETF for solar energy called TAN. Solar has had a big run and might pull back quite a bit in the likely coming commodity correction. So, I will buy more gradually looking for a better point to add a big position.

No comments: